Mor Hafren: Energy Recovery Facility
Received 26 November 2020
From Cllr Bernie Bowen-Thomson
“Dear Sir or Madam,
Please except this email as an objection to the proposed building of an incinerator, DNS/3236340 Mor Hafren, on Newlands Rd.
I would like to bring the following key points of my objection to your attention:
1. Visual Amenity – consideration of the design, its scale, the massing and how it influences the space, the impacts on residential areas of the north and the green spaces surrounding it. It will not contribute to the City landscape or geological features (KP16, EN3).
2. Green Infrastructure - The local area consists of significant green infrastructure. The proposed building will have a detrimental impact on the local green infrastructure and contravenes sections KP16 of the Cardiff LDP including building on undeveloped countryside (EN1 and EN2); not serving biodiversity interests (EN5, EN6 and EN7); impacting negatively on trees and hedgerows (EN8).
3. Ecology – Safeguarding the SSSI protected reen network in the vicinity. This proposal does not comply with KP16 of the Cardiff LDP. It does not support biodiversity interests and the connectivity of priority habitats and species (EN5, EN6 and EN7).
4. Drainage - Ensuring acceptable sustainable drainage solutions and robust integrated surface water management. The proposal does not reflect Cardiff’s LDP objectives to respect Cardiff’s environment (KP15, KP16:EN10). Notably, it does not avoid an area susceptible to flood risk in the first instance and does not reflect an ambition to prevent development that increases flood risk.
5. Transportation – The frequency and number of vehicle movements within that area would impact negatively on the neighbouring residential area, the network and routes. The proposal does not adequately respond to KP16 vi, T6 of Cardiff LDP.
In addition, serious consideration needs to be given to the air quality (ensuring, as a bare minimum, that emissions accord with environmental standards, ideally exceeding these standards, particularly as this is so close to a residential areas). Similarly, ensuring excellent air quality is vital, so emissions need to accord with environmental standards and ideally exceed them.
Cllr Bernie Bowen-Thomson
Councillor for Trowbridge & St Mellons